Chief Development Officer, Victoria Conservatory of Music
Founded in 1964, the Victoria Conservatory of Music (VCM) has earned an outstanding reputation of quality in music education and performance, music therapy and community outreach programs. As a music school for the whole community, the VCM welcomes students of all ages and musical abilities, and teaches in all musical genres including classical, contemporary and music technology. Each year, over 4,500 students take part in an extensive array of disciplines including woodwinds, brass, percussion, keyboard, strings, voice, jazz, theory and composition, and programs such as music therapy, teacher training, early children’s music programs and Summer Music Academies. In addition, the VCM offers a two-year performance-oriented post-secondary diploma program in partnership with Camosun College, credits from which are transferable to every major University in Canada.
The Victoria Conservatory of Music (VCM) is seeking a permanent, full-time experienced Chief Development Officer to lead our Development team, contributing to nurturing long-term relationships with its supporters to raise approximately $1.5 million from individuals, foundations, government agencies, sponsors and special events as well as assisting in the cultivation of a donor centered practice at VCM.
Reporting to the dynamic and strategy-focused CEO and working with an engaged and involved Board of Governors, the senior management team and development staff, the CDO will direct and execute a multi-faceted fundraising program that builds communities of support and attracts high impact philanthropy to the VCM’s strategic priorities, leading the VCM towards long term financial sustainability. This position supervises the Manager of Donor Relations, the Manager of Development Services and the Development Officer, Special Events & Sponsorship and is responsible for meeting the targets of the VCM’s development plan.
As a member of VCM’s Senior Leadership Team, the Chief Development Officer provides:
- Fully participates with senior leadership and the board in setting VCM strategy and policy;
- Creates a fund development strategy which fully engages the organization in its execution to deliver increased revenue to VCM’s strategic priorities;
- Acts on behalf of VCM in business, civic and community organizations to foster, build and grow relationships with internal and external audiences;
- Seeks and inspires excellence and impact in all endeavours;
- Acts on behalf of the CEO, as required and when requested.
Fundraising Excellence and Impact
- Builds a diverse base of engaged donors, sponsors and partners through an innovative program that attracts funds to VCM’s annual operations and special projects and builds communities of support;
- Creates and executes a full complement of fundraising programs including major gifts, annual giving, program initiatives, sponsorship marketing, grant writing, planned giving, business development and special events;
- Builds, motivates and supports a team of board governors, development staff and volunteers, including members of the Philanthropic Leadership Council, who advocate for the organization in the execution of the VCM’s fund development plan;
- Sets, monitors and reports on fundraising goals and metrics that are achieved with the full participation of VCM development staff and volunteers.
- Provides strategic and operational support to standings committees of the Board (and other committees) as needed;
- Oversees a prospect management system that holistically manages all prospects meeting the major gift threshold of $10,000 and personally manages a portfolio of prospects;
- Recruits, leads, supervises, coaches and mentors a small team of development staff and volunteers who work as a team to achieve mutually agreed performance targets;
- Prepares business plans, sets budgets and authorizes expenditure.
Development & Public Relations
- Supervises development and communications matters related to the creation of various development collateral materials, correspondence, speeches and ensures that information about all development events and activities are communicated accurately to the Marketing department;
- Oversees the production of general fundraising related content for website.
Database & Records Management
- Supervises maintenance of Exceed Basic data system and paper records of donors and grants;
- Oversees the maintenance of security and quality controls;
- Directs the maintenance of accurate accounting of all contributed revenue and its sources and generation of reports as needed.
- Ensures Board Reports reports are created monthly;
- Attends monthly Board Meetings meetings;
- Liaises with CEO on a regular basis;
- Creates annual Development Budget with CFO;
- Creates annual Development Plan;
- Provides support to the CEO as needed.
Application deadline: Tuesday, March 19.
This Position Offers:
- A competitive salary and benefits package, as well as free parking;
- A small, highly collaborative Development team, working within well established and effective planning and budgeting processes, and using a robust, well-documented work plan with defined metrics and written guidelines for specific programs within the department;
- A special working environment that combines deeply committed staff and a culturally rich community, all housed in our beautiful downtown heritage building;
- As a caring organization, we make it a priority to foster a positive work environment by recognizing the efforts of our staff, and promoting a balanced work/family life.