Major Gifts Officer, Arts Umbrella
Arts Umbrella is where young artists ages 2–22 cultivate their creativity in Dance, Theatre, and Visual Arts. As a non-profit organization for arts education, we believe that art is powerful. Powerful enough to change kids’ lives in incredible ways. When young people connect with the arts, they gain self-confidence, develop self-discipline, and discover creative expression—things they carry with them for life. Arts Umbrella has four locations in Vancouver and Surrey, as well as donor-funded programs at schools, community centres, neighbourhood houses, and healthcare facilities across Metro Vancouver. We reach close to 21,000 students every year, with nearly 80% participating at little to no cost.
Now celebrating its 40th year, Arts Umbrella will be moving into the South Building of the former Emily Carr University of Art + Design on Granville Island in late 2019. This exceptional opportunity will allow Arts Umbrella to further our vision for a better world where all young lives are inspired to pursue a lifelong journey towards self-expression, compassion, and humanity. It is our mission to be Canada’s leader in arts education for young people; to build community and deliver profound life experiences through our commitment to innovation, excellence, and inclusivity. Arts Umbrella is an organization full of heart, where self-expression and creativity are valued and nurtured.
Reporting to the Manager, Leadership Giving, and working collaboratively to contribute to the success of the entire Development team, the Major Gifts Officer is responsible for securing Major Gifts for Arts Umbrella.
The Major Gifts Officer manages a portfolio of approx. 150-250 donors (individuals, corporations, foundations and government), and is involved in building the prospect pipeline, including prospect identification, research, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors ($5,000+).
Key responsibilities include, but not limited to the following:
- Responsible for ensuring major gift program is highly efficient, effective, ethical, and well leveraged.
- Primary relationship manager for $5,000 - $25,000 prospects and donors.
- Responsible for preparing grant applications for the Major Gifts team.
- Responsible for annual revenue goals for major donors and grant applications.
- Works with the Manager, Leadership Giving on annual planning, budgeting and goal setting.
- Assists in the recruitment of leadership volunteer solicitors and development their fundraising capabilities.
- Supports the Senior Director in other duties that contribute to the successful operation of the department.
- Actively involved in the upcoming capital campaign.
- Collaborates effectively with Arts Umbrella faculty, administration, and staff to maximize results.
Here is what you bring
Our Major Gifts Officer has the proven ability to multi-task successfully in a fast-paced environment with a high degree of attention to detail, superb organizational skills and the following must have qualifications:
- Bachelor degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proven experience cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in nonprofit major gifts fundraising, or the capacity to learn.
- Superior interpersonal, oral and written communication and presentation skills with the ability to represent the organization’s mission and interests to a diverse group of people.
- Excellent user of office technology and information systems (including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and donor databases, preferably Raiser’s Edge.
- Demonstrated ability work successfully in a fast-paced environment with a high degree of attention to detail and minimum supervision.
- Ability to establish and monitor priorities, remain flexible, meet deadlines, and have fun.
Arts Umbrella offers an excellent work environment, and a competitive compensation and benefit package.
How to apply
If you have what it takes and are looking for a great opportunity to work within a forward-thinking organization, please apply through the link below by August 14. (Please upload your cover letter and resume as a single PDF document.)