Director, Annual Giving, Trinity Western University
Position Purpose and Summary
The Director, Annual Giving will work with an exciting, dynamic and supportive team who have met and exceeded their goals year after year. Working for the second largest employer in Langley, BC, and the largest Christian university in Canada, you will be responsible for a $1 million portfolio while working with a highly collaborative team in achieving the overall financial goals for the University.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Development the Director, Annual Giving (Director, AG) designs, implements and coordinates a comprehensive donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship program for all donors in the annual giving portfolio. As part of the Development Team, the Director, AG works with his/her colleagues to deliver marketing to donors for other areas (church relations, parent relations, major donors, legacy donors etc.).
Key Areas of Accountability
As part of the Trinity Western University (TWU) donor relations strategy the Director, AG provides tactical leadership for the direct mail strategy, alumni calling program, and grant-writing as part of acquiring and retaining increasing numbers of donors.
1. Donor Relations Program & Analysis
In order to improve overall donor engagement, through the use of various communications methods (mail, email, social media, telephone etc.), ensure that TWU donors are communicated with effectively and efficiently. As campaigns, projects and events are built and maintained, monitor overall results, produce reports and analysis for further improvement and future success. The following are examples of deliverables:
- Donor Acquisition Identification/Research/Communications.
- Annual Alumni & Donor Call Campaign. Direct Mail and integrated media campaigns.
- Information updates in our database systems.
- Lapsed Donor Re-engagement Initiatives.
- Data Analysis and Recommendations for Improvement.
- Measuring Levels of Campaign Success.
In order to reduce donor attrition, implement a comprehensive plan that leverages various mediums to thank TWU donors for their ongoing support. Establish and implement strategies for the following:
- Donor Recognition Thresholds.
- Clear Donor Recognition Policies.
- Donor Appreciation Events.
- Identifying Prospects for Legacy, Investment and Major Giving.
- As part of the overall Development strategy, increase the number of donors from grant making foundations, corporate entities and all levels of government.
- Research foundations, businesses and government granting opportunities to support the annual fund and special projects.
- Coordinate opportunities with the Provost Office’s Research dept. which oversees faculty grant applications.
- Maintain ongoing relationships with donors to ensure delivery within the parameters and outcomes established by the approved grant application.
4. Budget Management
- Effectively manage business expense accounts and assigned project accounts within the Development department budget.
Trinity Western University encourages applications from all eligible candidates who are able to commit to the university’s mission, values, and Christian identity as articulated in its Statement of Faith and Community Covenant. We are committed to an ethic of inclusion and to the equal treatment of all persons without discrimination in accordance with human rights law.
We particularly invite applications from indigenous people, women, persons with disabilities, and visible minorities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Trinity Western University is located on the traditional ancestral territory of the Sto:lo people.
Skills and Abilities
- Superior, well-developed writing and marketing abilities for direct mail marketing and grant writing. Good ability in organizing, planning, prioritizing, administrative details, and presentations.
- Able to work under significant time, financial and schedule pressures, effectively interacting with donors.
- Superior demonstrated customer service, communication, and interpersonal skills, with a wide range of individuals, nationalities, and personalities, including high-level contacts and corporate and foundation executives.
- Superior software skills with MS Word and Excel and general understanding donor data base system.
- Good team player, multi-tasking skills with demonstrated persistence, initiative and tact.
- Driven and inspired by the idea of positively impacting the various marketplaces of life through the development of godly Christian leaders by serving the Trinity Western University community.
- Warm-hearted, dedicated, committed and mature evangelical Christian with a keen desire to serve in family, church, work and community. A firm commitment to TWU’s mission, values, Statement of Faith and Community Covenant. Strength of character and reputation, a pleasant personality with a positive and friendly attitude in the midst of a very busy and challenging atmosphere.
- Servant-Leader Way of Life: Act in a manner that exemplifies Jesus Christ in all on and off campus contacts thereby living out the servant leadership mission of the university and contributing effectively towards achieving the institutional and Kingdom goals of the organization.
- BA required. Will consider extensive business and leadership experience as well.
- 3-4 years in sales and marketing, business development, public relations or fundraising role required. Preference will be given to those with non-profit experience in a faith-based fundraising context.
- Certified Fund Raising Executive considered a strong asset.
TWU offers a competitive compensation and benefit package including extended health & dental, life insurance, an RRSP matching program, and tuition waivers!