Development Officer, Digital, Ocean Wise
Reporting to the Director, Community Giving and Events, the Development Officer, Digital, is responsible for developing, managing, implementing and analyzing digital campaigns for fundraising, donor cultivation and stewardship and new donor acquisition in order to support pipeline growth and development. The Development Officer, Digital works closely with Development and Engagement department colleagues to develop multi-channel digital funding appeals, with a particular focus on email, web and social media. A core element of this role is consolidating and managing the organization-wide email list and content strategy, including two-way syncing of contacts with various CRMs, segmenting, automation, unsubscribes, producing emails, scheduling, and writing emails.
Working in collaboration with the development team, this pivotal role is essential in driving new donor acquisition and is the team’s clearinghouse for mass communications. The Development Officer, Digital, works closely with the Database Manager and Development Coordinator, Annual Giving, and focuses on cultivating, soliciting and tracking donations through Luminate and Raiser’s Edge.
Please note that this position will be a one-year contract role.
Responsible for increasing online giving and overall engagement by:
- Implementing acquisition strategies to consolidate current and new emails from a variety of online and offline data collection points.
- Developing and implementing annual work plans and strategies for online giving, including e-appeals, fundraising and special event invitations, P2P giving campaigns and third party (including tribute) giving.
- Developing and implementing an effective donor and prospective donor segmentation strategy and overseeing ongoing assignment of donors and prospects into these segments.
- Liaising with other departments and working with Database Manager to bring newly acquired email addresses throughout the organization into Raiser’s Edge and Luminate, and coordinating a content strategy for emailing the list (or segments thereof).
- Acting as the primary point of contact with the Annual Giving, Communications, and Content teams to create, design, and implement campaigns, while ensuring that deadlines are met and quality control standards are implemented consistently.
- Designing, building and implementing the new donor welcome series, and ensuring appropriate segmentation based on donor responses to it.
- Designing, building, and implementing email campaigns, including emails, donation pages, confirmation pages, autoresponders, event pages and report back emails.
- Creating marketing and content briefs for online campaigns, including headers, footers and other imagery/branding requirements.
- Creating, maintaining and monitoring online donation pages.
- Serving as the primary digital liaison to the communications and content teams and coordinating online annual giving campaigns, pledge campaigns, and content with overall Ocean Wise digital marketing goals, content streams and social media channels.
- Working with the Events Manager and Events Coordinator to design and send special event emails and invitations and work with the Database Manager to ensure participant and guest registrations in Raiser’s Edge and Luminate.
- Working closely with the Database Manager and to implement Blackbaud, Luminate and Omatic strategies, upgrades, updates, data transfers.
- Setting and tracking performance benchmarks and targets and reporting regularly on them.
- Ensuring that privacy and CASL/CRTC policy and procedures are consistently followed.
Supports donor retention through stewardship communications by:
- Working with the Senior Development Officer (Major Gifts & Stewardship) to develop an annual stewardship calendar and to design and implement the stewardship communications, including the monthly donor newsletter.
- Developing an annual editorial calendar for the donor monthly newsletter and works with other departments to collect content, identify important upcoming events and dates and works with the content team to synchronize and leverage content from ocean.org.
- Tracking and analyzing stewardship communications and ensuring they are recorded in Raiser’s Edge.
- Helping to coordinate and build content-based communications by donor giving level and segment.
Consciously improves the overall organization and its processes by:
- Continually improving our impact on the environment and greening of operations through support of EMS protocols.
- Maintaining and supporting organizational safety standards.
- Abiding by all organizational policies and procedures.
- Performing other duties of a similar nature or level.
Education and Experience
- A minimum of three years’ experience in online giving or digital marketing or a combination of related experience;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience;
- Experience working in the non-profit sector and in fundraising communications specifically;
- Experience working with P2P events and campaigns;
- Experience working with third party and tribute giving.
- Clear, creative, strategic thinker;
- Ability to effectively establish and manage plans, strategies and tactics ;
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks and to produce high quality work under tight deadlines;
- Excellent written/verbal/interpersonal communications skills;
- Excellent presentation skills;
- Demonstrated ability to set and meet targets;
- Demonstrated ability to gain cooperation from and to motivate individuals in order to accomplish project goals;
- Proven experience in Raiser’s Edge, Luminate, TeamRaiser, social media platforms, responsive design/implementation and mobile technologies;
- Experience in HTML coding considered an asset.
- The incumbent will work in a shared office environment with the usual ergonomic risks;
- May be required to work weekends and/or have flexible work schedule.
Ocean Wise offers a competitive compensation and benefit package.