Director, Major Gifts, Ocean Wise
The Director, Major Gifts, is responsible for leading a team to secure large donations, grants and sponsorships and thereby significantly grow revenue to meet Ocean Wise’s strategic goals.
Working with a highly engaged and passionate team, the Director, Major Gifts, will play a critical role in finding the resources that help support ongoing programs and initiatives at Ocean Wise. They will develop and implement a strategy to secure major funding (>$10k, with a primary focus on >$100K) from a pipeline of high-net worth individuals, family foundations, grant-making foundations, government grants, corporate partners/sponsors and legacy donors.
This position will be responsible for coaching and mentoring the major gifts team to ensure income targets are established and met from a robust pipeline of donors. Ongoing support will be provided on issues including prospect identification, cultivation tactics and major asks. The Director of Major Gifts will be responsible for ensuring every team member is meeting their financial and non-financial goals.
Provides leadership to the major gifts team by:
- Creating monthly and annual income targets for each team member and ensuring each individual has a large pipeline of prospects to meet those targets.
- Developing and maintaining an effective group organization structure, including workplans that reflect operational needs and clearly articulate the accountabilities and responsibilities of staff as they relate to the accomplishment of the portfolio objectives.
- Ensuring staff are well organized, sufficiently trained/cross-trained to perform their responsibilities, developed to their potential and deployed in a manner that permits a cost-effective operation.
- Ensuring the effectiveness of the group through goal setting and performance management including coaching, training, and professional development.
- Providing direction, guidance and support to team members and motivate staff to achieve a high level of performance and productivity.
- Recognizing and reward success, and proactively managing poor performance.
Leads the overall strategy development and execution of major gifts by:
- Developing and implementing goals, objectives and metrics aligned with the Ocean Wise and departmental strategic plan.
- Creating metrics to monitor and measure the achievement of the plan.
- Establishing priority timelines and key deliverables and assigning responsibilities for team members to meet these goals.
- Developing and overseeing appropriate tracking and reporting mechanisms and systems, including a dashboard report and monthly income targets.
- Ensuring key areas of the strategy are on time, on budget and delivering on key targets.
- In collaboration with the VP of Development, overseeing key decision-making activities for the Development department.
- Performing tasks and other duties in keeping with the objectives of the department as assigned by the VP of Development.
Oversees the development, cultivation and management of key relationships by:
- Coordinating with the Manager of Community Giving and Events in the identification and implementation of prospect and donor research, identification, cultivation and stewardship strategies.
- Working with the team to create appropriate donor and sponsor recognition levels.
- Ensuring all major gifts are effectively tracked and stewarded.
- Providing direction in the production of effective presentation materials, customized proposals, cases for support and solicitation materials as needed.
- Providing leadership in developing donor retention strategies.
- Ensuring major donors and prospects are actively engaged through events, tours, updates, interaction with key staff, and other opportunities.
- Working with the Engagement department and other teams, develop activation programs for each donor where appropriate.
- Providing direction in the creation and maintenance of tracking mechanisms and prospect list management.
- Participating in the broader community to further the mission and goals of Ocean Wise.
- Working closely with the senior leadership team and program colleagues to develop compelling cases for support, and approaches to donors.
- Effectively engage and communicate with the CEO, board, Development committee, and other contacts to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward major gifts.
Ensure cross-collaboration within the Development department and amongst other Ocean Wise teams by:
- Providing direction in the assignment of group and cross-organizational responsibilities for major gift strategies and providing supervision to ensure expectations of senior staff, Board of directors, Development committee members and other senior volunteers are met.
- Overseeing the coordination of internal development communications, including scheduling regular review meetings and provide follow up materials, coordination and support.
- Organizing and fostering volunteer participation, and building strong relationships with volunteer leadership.
- Participating in strategies and working directly with other development activities such as the Community Giving and Events team to ensure a well-managed and coordinated approach to Ocean Wise’s overall development needs.
- Coordinating external communications through the Engagement team.
Reviewing and managing the program budget by:
- Creating, managing and monitoring the major gifts budgets in collaboration with the VP of Development.
- Monitoring existing detailed and measurable financial goals and objectives.
- Responsible for delivering on established targets and goals.
- Working directly with the Ocean Wise finance team to establish key financial tracking reports.
- Ensuring tax receipting mechanisms and appropriate measures are in place and that all activities comply with appropriate regulations in this area.
Provides management, coaching and mentoring to Direct Reports and contributes to and fosters the development of the team by:
- Creating an environment conducive to individual development, productivity, and achievement while ensuring open lines of communication.
- Ensuring that employees are well organized, sufficiently trained/cross-trained to perform their responsibilities, developed to their potential and deployed in a manner that permits a cost-effective operation.
- Planning and facilitating individual touch bases, group touch bases, and skill-building sessions where appropriate.
- Providing direction, guidance and support to team members and motivating staff to achieve a high level of performance and productivity.
- Establishing performance objectives/goals, reviewing progress throughout the year, and completing formal performance reviews for direct reports as required.
- Recognizing and rewarding success, and managing poor performance.
- Developing and obtaining agreement on development plans for all direct reports, recommending training courses and seminars where appropriate.
- Recruiting, hiring and promoting team members in accordance with standard Ocean Wise policies;
- Monitoring and controlling expenditures to ensure that Ocean Wise standards are met while continuing to maintain monthly budget.
- Tracking budget and maintaining financial records throughout the year.
Consciously improves the overall organization and its processes by:
- Continually improving our impact on the environment and greening of operations through support of EMS protocols.
- Maintaining and supporting organizational safety standards.
- Abiding by all organizational policies and procedures.
- Performing other duties of a similar nature or level.
Education and Experience
- A minimum of 8 years experience in major gifts development.
- Proven success in high net worth major gifts, foundation grants, sponsorship, and other gift major solicitation strategies and stewardship.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience. Further professional development training and experience an asset.
- Proven experience managing and motivating high-profile volunteers, Board members, consultants and donor/prospects.
- Proven supervisory experience of both paid development staff and volunteers.
- Experience in making presentations for the purpose of soliciting donations.
- Experience and proven relationships with senior business and community leaders, leading philanthropists.
- Experience in prospect development, management and stewardship.
- Excellent knowledge of fundraising systems, structures and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to set and achieve financial and non-financial targets.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to develop strong working relationships with persons at all levels within and external to the organization.
- Excellent writing skills for the purposes of proposals and cases for support.
- Comfort and confidence in working with senior community and corporate level volunteers.
- Strong understanding and knowledge about the role of technology and electronic communication fundraising.
- Strong ability to inspire the confidence and trust of donors, volunteers and staff.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work with a high degree of discretion and tact in handling confidential matters.
- Detail oriented and accurate in execution, ability to work well under pressure and with minimal supervision.
- Thrives in a fast-paced work environment, maintains a positive frame of mind and sets an example of professionalism for other employees.
- Demonstrated analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced level MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Raiser’s Edge.
- The incumbent works in a standard office environment.
- The position is primarily non-physical.
- Works frequently under pressure, with deadlines and shifting priorities that are often not under the incumbent’s control.
Ocean Wise offers a competitive compensation and benefit package.